Today’s blog entry is a reblog of Sierra Energy Group and Energy Central author Christopher Perdue. He reports that given the prevalence of smartphones, it is surprising that most utilities have not exploited this channel to allow customers to pay their bills and manage their accounts. A recent announcement from TXU Energy may signal that this is changing.
Chartwell Inc. hosted its 2011 Summit on Mobile and Web Customer Interaction in Phoenix. There I was treated to case studies from many utilities in North America on their mobile and web initiatives. Overall, I’m very impressed with the progress we’ve made as an industry. It was clear that several recurring themes emerged:
- Customers Drive Mobile Development
- Outage Reporting is Critical for Mobile
- Customers Favor Text Alerts and Text to Pay
- Mobile Apps vs. Mobile Sites is Something Utilities are Grappling With
- Social Media is Key to Building Communities and Driving Mobile Adoption
- The Sky is the Limit with Smart Grid