This week, I’m at Utility Web Week West, hosted by Conferences Connect. Hearing some great presentations from utilities and utility vendors. Thought provoking discussions about mobile web, apps, online customer self-service, and best practices in user experience. We’ve heard from SCE&G, SoCalGas, Duke Energy, KCP&L, iFactor, eSource, Union Gas, and more. Plus, I sat on a panel discussing online self-service and electronic bill payments. It’s a fun group to associate with. I hope to provide a better recap when I have more time.
Chartwell Inc. hosted its 2011 Summit on Mobile and Web Customer Interaction in Phoenix. There I was treated to case studies from many utilities in North America on their mobile and web initiatives. Overall, I’m very impressed with the progress we’ve made as an industry. It was clear that several recurring themes emerged:
- Customers Drive Mobile Development
- Outage Reporting is Critical for Mobile
- Customers Favor Text Alerts and Text to Pay
- Mobile Apps vs. Mobile Sites is Something Utilities are Grappling With
- Social Media is Key to Building Communities and Driving Mobile Adoption
- The Sky is the Limit with Smart Grid